Beware of Poisonous Plants

One of the nicest things there is for sure is being outside in nature. One might reap several physical and emotional advantages from taking a day trip or going camping for the weekend. But like with anything nice, there are risks associated with spending time in the mountains or the forests. Plants that are poisonous is one.

It’s crucial to identify the most typical ones and understand the fundamentals of first aid in case you ever come across one.

Here are some of the most typical poisonous plants you may encounter in the woods and how to handle them if you come in contact with them:

Poison Ivy Roots

Poison Ivy (Photo of Poison Ivy Below and in the small Photo Above)

Poison ivy is one of the most prevalent plants that should be avoided when outside, therefore everyone is familiar with it. These plants are extremely simple to recognize because their stem often develops into three leaves. In some regions of the country (the East, Midwest, and South), it grows as a vine, but in other others, it grows as a shrub (North and West).

See the source image

See the source image


Urushiol, an oily substance found in poison ivy plants, can cause skin to become red, itchy, and swollen.

Toxic Oak (Photo Below of Toxic Oak Aka Poison Oak)

Poison ivy and poison oak are frequently confused. Although the leaves resemble each other greatly, the leaves of the poison oak resemble those of an oak tree more. In addition to having urushiol, poison oak leaves also include minute hairs. One’s skin may react to poison oak leaves hours or even days after contact, in contrast to an allergic reaction to poison ivy.

Blisters that ooze may eventually develop from rashes caused by them.

See the source image

Toxic Sumac (Photo of Sumac Below)

Each stem of this plant features clusters of drooping green berries and has between 7 and 13 leaves, making it quite simple to recognize. They thrive mostly in moist, marshy places. The substance that produces the allergic reaction, urushiol, is also present in the leaves of sumac, just like it is in the first two plants mentioned above.

See the source image

Initial Care

If any of these plants have come into touch with your skin, wash the area right away with warm soapy water. Put the contaminated clothing in plastic and remove it. Every 30 minutes, apply a cold compress to reduce redness and itching. Additionally, you can use calamine or cortisone creams. Oatmeal baths, according to some, are very helpful. If you have difficulties falling asleep, take oral antihistamines.

If the person is experiencing difficulty breathing or swallowing or if the rash covers a significant portion of the body, seek medical attention right away.

Keep an eye out for these common poisonous plants the next time you’re outside!

Click the link copy and paste into browser for suggested poison ivy, poison oak and Sumac RELIF CREAM

NOTE I may earn a small commission when a purchase i made through mt affiliate link but there is never

any extra charge to you.

It’s better to have the cream already with you before the itching starts and it a good idea to have the best.



You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap